Rotating Header Image

I did it!


That’s me (and Jen) crossing the finish line of the 3M Half Marathon!  I ran 13.1 miles in 2:16:26 (2 hours, 16 minutes and 26 seconds).  My goal was to stay under 2:30:00.  Yes, the clock in the picture shows 2:18:48, but that’s gun time, not chip time.  The start line is about the same width as the finish line in the picture, so it takes a while for everybody (4179 people) to get through.  That’s where the timing chip comes in.  If you look real close, you’ll see an orange tag on my right shoe laces.  That’s an RFID tag that registered my time when I crossed the start line, mid-way point and finish line.

The start was at 7am and it was less than 40 degrees.  I had a jacket and gloves, but got rid of them the first time I saw Jeff, Cooper and my parents (between miles 5 and 6) because I got hot.  I was enjoying the scenery in mile 8 and just happened to notice that my friend, Jen, from church, was running right next to me.  Neither of us had realized it.  She had passed me in the first mile, so I wasn’t expecting to see her until the finish line.  She is a personal trainer and ran in the San Antonio marathon in November.  She told me that she hadn’t really trained for this race and had just been doing strength training in the gym.  She had to stop once to stretch and again to use the restroom (that’s how I caught up with her).  We ended up running the rest of the way together because her legs were not holding up very well.  I think she helped me to not slow down and I was able to run the second half of the race faster than the first half. 

All in all, I had a great run.  It was a great experience.  My legs are pretty sore today and my knees don’t seem to want to work properly, but I’m sure that will pass.  I’m not sure what my next race will be, but I will continue running.  Jeff is training for the Austin Marathon, February 15th.  He wants me to try a marathon, but we’ll just have to wait and see how he does first.

More pics here.

Comments are closed.